Katesh township roads opened

MANYARA: MORE than half of roads and streets damaged by flash floods and mudslides in Katesh Township, Hanang District have been opened for use, the Deputy Minister for Works and Transport, Eng Godfrey Kasekenya said on Thursday.

He said in a live interview with the Tanzania Broadcasting Corporation (TBC), from Manyara Region that nine kilometres out of 16 kilometres of roads and 22 streets out of 31 streets were opened.

“We started with the roads which were badly affected by the mudflow along with other crucial areas including the market,” said Eng Kasekenya in the interview noting that the market was covered by a lot of mud which prevented vehicles and people from moving from one place to another.

He noted that the ongoing exercise involves people inspecting their properties as well as conducting cleanliness in the respective areas.

According to him, the government’s goal was to ensure that people should be able to reach their houses and continue with their daily activities.

On the other hand, the Minister said some of the challenges machines could not enter alleyways which forced technicians to use their hands to clean the mud in those areas.

Moreover, he revealed that the highway from Babati to Singida with more than one kilometre has been cleaned, whereas its service road is currently under construction.

“The team from the government has been receiving enough cooperation from residents of Katesh who had previously lost hope.

Besides, the Deputy Minister extended appreciation to the defence and security forces for their participation in conducting cleanliness of the affected areas.

Meanwhile, the Tanzania Police Female Network (TPFNET) has donated cash and items worth 17.7m/- to support the survivors of the mudslide in Hanang District, Manyara Region.

The contribution was presented to the Permanent Secretary in the Prime Minister’s Office (Policy, Parliament and Coordination) Dr Jim Yonazi by the Commissioner of the Commission for Community Engagement, Commissioner of Police (CP) Faustine Shilogile and the Commissioner for Administration and Human Resource Management, CP Suzan Kaganda.

Dr Yonazi expressed gratitude to TPFNET for recognising the importance of reaching out to the mudslide victims, saying the move was a testimony of their genuine commitment to collaborate with the community.

The PS said in addition to the immediate aid provided by various stakeholders including TPFNET, the government has implemented various initiatives to help the flood victims in Hanang District.

They included the deployment of emergency response teams comprising medical professionals, social workers and volunteers to provide on-ground support to the affected communities.

“The teams are working tirelessly to distribute aid, assess the damage caused by the flood and identify the most vulnerable individuals who require immediate assistance.

“This joint effort seeks to provide comprehensive support to the flood victims and help them recover from the devastating impact of the disaster,” he said.

“The contribution complements government efforts to ensure that survivors of the mudslides get necessary items during this challenging period.

Apart from cash donations, the food items are water, exercise books, pencils, soaps, clothes as well and sheets to help them during this difficult period.

He commended the Police Force for various efforts, including remembering the flood victims and that the help provided by TPFNET will reach the beneficiaries as it is intended.

He further urged other organisations and individuals to come forth to support the need, especially clothes for men.

For her part, the Chairperson for TPFNET CP Suzan Kaganda said they decided to use the resources available to assist fellows who are currently going through this difficult period.

A report released by the Chief Government Spokesperson, Mr Mobhare Matinyi disclosed that by Wednesday no new deaths were recorded, pointing out that the number of deceased remained 89 people out of which 87 bodies had been identified and handed over to relatives for burial while two were yet to be recognised.

Besides, he said the search was continuing, noting that the government will continue to cover the burials as well as providing 1m/- for each deceased person as per the directive of President Samia Suluhu Hassan.

Related Articles

Back to top button