Tanzania to generate 345.7bn/- annually as Chinese firms invest in glass factories

Tanzania is set to generate a total of 148m US Dollars (approximately 345.7bn/-) annually through export of glass products, thanks to investments by two Chinese companies.

The two firms plan to retain 25 percent of their products for the local market and remaining 75 per cent is for export.

Speaking after visiting strategic projects in Mkuranga, Coast Region in Dar es Salaam recently, Permanent Secretary in the President’s Office responsible for Investment, Dr Tausi Kida said 80 per cent of raw materials needed are available in the country.

She said projects will provide a total of 700 employment opportunities.

As of now, approximately 850 people have secured employment opportunities from ongoing construction projects of industries.

“We are pleased that this mega project is going well and water and electricity challenges have been resolved,” she said.

PS Tausi said Saphier has injected a total of 310m US dollars and production will start September, this year.

Meanwhile, Keda has invested a total of 300m US dollars and it is anticipated that the project will be concluded early next year before starting production.

On her part, Mkuranga District Commissioner Khadija Nassir said despite the area being among places with more industries, a friendly investment environment is needed in order to attract a good number of investors.

“We are here today at Saphier, the first glass factory in Tanzania and East Africa. This is a reflection of President Samia Suluhu Hassan’s desire to boost investment in the country,” the district boss said.

However, DC promised to collaborate with the President’s Office [Investments] Tanzania Investment Centre (TIC) and stakeholders to ensure the Government’s goal on investment is attained.

Related Articles

Back to top button