The world’s two valuable footballers Christiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi have each scored a spot-kick goal in the first round of the underway FIFA World Cup finals in Qatar.
Messi who is likely making his final world cup appearance netted the solitary goal in his team’s 2-1 shocking defeat to Saudi Arabia in group C opener thanks to a 10th minute penalty.
It was his seventh world cup goal in 20 appearances as he still yawns to lift the glittering trophy for the first time as Argentina player.
On the other hand, Ronaldo converted his eighth world cup goal also via a penalty awarded in the 65th minute to help his side upset Ghana 3-2.
Before his goal, the two world’s expensive players were tied at seven world cup goals as such, Ronaldo has broken the chain.
Also, the duo are captaining their respective sides as they eye to reach in the knockout phase of the biggest football showpiece in the universe.
So far, 16 matches have been played to eclipse the first round of the tournament with 41 goals recorded.
There have been 11-wins and five draws with Spain and England scoring most goals as the former demolished Costa Rica 7-0 while the latter saw off Iran 6-2.
Africa continue to eagerly wait for the first success after all the five envoys could not manage to stamp a win in their opening duels.
A list of players who scored/missed spot kicks
- Enner Valencia (scored) – Qatar vs ECUADOR
- Mehdi Taremi (scored) – England vs IRAN
- Gareth Bale (scored) – USA vs WALES
- Lionel Messi (scored) – ARGENTINA vs Saudi Arabia
- Robert Lewandowski (saved) – POLAND vs Mexico
- Ilkay Gundogan (scored) – GERMANY vs Japan
- Ferran Torres (scored) – SPAIN vs Costa Rica
- Alphonso Davies – (saved) CANADA vs Belgium
- Cristiano Ronaldo – (scored) PORTUGAL vs Ghana