Morocco earthquake death toll rises to nearly 2,500

MOROCCO: The number of people killed in Friday’s powerful earthquake in Morocco has risen to 2,497, the interior ministry says

Rescuers have been using their bare hands to dig for survivors

Heavy lifting equipment can’t get through roads blocked by boulders to reach remote villages near the epicentre in the Atlas Mountains

Many lie in ruins with local people desperately awaiting aid

The Moroccan government says it has accepted aid from four countries so far – Britain, Spain, Qatar and the UAE

Friday’s earthquake, the country’s deadliest in 60 years, struck below villages in the High Atlas mountains south of Marrakesh

Related Articles

Back to top button