MANYARA: TWO more people have succumbed to injuries following the mudflow disaster that struck Hanang District, Manyara Region, taking the death toll to 89.
According to a statement released on Monday by the Director of Information Services, MAELEZO, who also doubles as the Chief Government Spokesperson, Mr Mobhare Matinyi, 87 out of 89 bodies have been identified and taken by their relatives for burial.
He revealed that 11 people who had sustained injuries during the calamity were discharged from hospitals on Monday.
Mr Matinyi further stated that the number of injured persons admitted at different hospitals has dropped from 139 to 17 as of on Monday, with those showing signs of recovery being discharged from hospitals. So far, a total of 120 patients have been discharged.
The statement noted that 17 remaining patients are in various hospitals including Manyara Regional Referral Hospital (11), Hanang District Hospital–Hope (3), and Gendabi Health Centre (3) and they are being treated for free of charge.
“A total of 224 survivors are being accommodated in three camps including Ganana Primary School Camp that has 38 victims, Gendabi Primary School (131) and Katesh Secondary School (55), while the other 98 have returned to their relatives …The government continues with its efforts to reunite victims with their families and thereafter, it will close the camps,” added the part of the statement.
The government is paying for the funeral and providing a donation of 1m/- for each deceased body.
The Government Spokesperson said that the Prime Minister’s Office continues to coordinate aid in cash and material from various internal and external philanthropists, including public and private institutions.
The statement further noted that until last Sunday, a total of 138.6m/- has been received in the account of the National Relief Fund at the Bank of Tanzania (BoT), apart from 2bn/- that was handed over to President Dr Samia Suluhu Hassan at Chamwino State House in Dodoma over the weekend.
Similarly, the government through the Prime Minister’s Office, the Regional Commissioner’s Office and the Hanang District Council has also received food and various equipment donated by local and foreign philanthropists including public and private institutions.
All those items have been donated by 149 philanthropists and have a market value of 1.6bn/-.
“The government thanks and congratulates Tanzanians and various public and private institutions in our country for the spirit of humanity and patriotism for donating various aids… The government is calling for more aid for construction materials to help victims establish new homes,” read the part of the statement.
On the other hand, the National Disaster Committee under the Office of the Prime Minister, has provided a bank account to deposit funds.
The electronic account is National Relief Fund – number 9921159801 and swift code TANZTZTX for sending money from abroad. When transactions are sent, they must contain the information MAAFA HANANG.
The account is at the Central Bank of Tanzania (BoT) and receives funds from within and outside the country.
On Sunday, President Samia Suluhu Hassan said the government will build houses for survivors of flash floods and mudflows disaster that hit Hanang District a week ago.
Besides the support currently availed to victims of the mudslide, resettlement is required for their lives to be restored.
Dr Samia revealed this while receiving a 2bn/- dummy cheque issued by the Treasury Registrar Mr Nehemiah Mchechu as a donation from public entities, which is part of government efforts to mobilise and aid the victims of the mudslide.
The president’s pledge to construct the houses comes hardly two days after the Minister for Lands, Housing and Human Settlements Development, Mr Jerry Silaa, visited and inspected an alternative site where survivors of the