The Tanzania Football Federation (TFF) confirmed onTuesday that Yanga has been ordered by FIFA to pay the now Sofapaka and Harambee Stars defender, who won a legal tussle against the Mainland Champions. Yanga was found guilty of breach of contract. Yanga have been ordered to pay the money within thirty days.
The landmark ruling that is likely to open the way for more suits in the region, the Dispute Resolution Chamber in its ruling released last Thursday evening ordered TFF to ensure that Yanga pays the money. According to the ruling signed by FIFA Secretary General Jerome Valcke, an interest of five per cent will be charged on the fine if Yanga does not pay within the stipulated period of time.
Njoroge was represented in the matter by Thabit Mohammed a former Secretary General of Football Kenya Limited. Mohammed was quoted by the Standard of Kenya as saying that he picked up the matter on behalf of Njoroge because the player did not have representation.
“When I looked at his case, it was obvious that he had been mistreated by the Tanzanian club and he stood a big chance to be paid and that is why we proceeded," said Mohammed. Njoroge reported Yanga to FIFA last year after the club dropped him together with other players yet they still had a running contract. In his submission to FIFA, Njoroge said the club failed to pay him for six months and he was not even allowed to play.
After leaving Yanga, Njoroge moved to Sofapaka as he pursued the matter with FIFA. Njoroge was quoted in Kenyan papers as saying that he was delighted by the ruling and believes justice has been done. "I want to thank FIFA for ruling in my favour and now I can move on with my career," he said.
Two years ago, Njoroge along with three other former Yanga players lodged an appeal to the Soccer Players Union of Tanzania (Sputanza), pressing Yanga to pay 250m/- as compensation after controversially leaving them out. The other players are Ally Msigwa, Steven Malashi and Malawian defender Wisdom Ndhlovu. In his demand note to TFF, the Sputanza Secretary General, Said George, expressed his disgust, saying Yanga leadership did not follow proper channels when dropping them out of its squad.