Portuguese President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa is the latest world leader to test positive for COVID-19.
President de Sousa began self-isolating after one of his aides tested positive for the virus on January 6.
But Mr. Rebelo de Sousa subsequently tested negative. Health officials said it had been a “low risk contact” and the president resumed normal activities, including several television debates broadcast live from studios ahead of the January 24 presidential election. The president was tested again later.
The results of the second test revealed de Sousa was COVID-19 positive.
The 72-year-old president, who is asymptomatic, has informed Portugal’s parliament president, prime minister and minister of health.
President de Sousa is working at the Belem Presidential Palace and will be in isolation in the residential area.
Portugal has suffered record numbers of coronavirus deaths and infections, making a new lockdown unavoidable, Prime Minister Antonio Costa said Monday.
On Wednesday, the government will decide restrictions similar to those imposed during the first lockdown last March, Costa said.
Portuguese health officials reported a record 122 deaths over the past 24 hours. Nearly 8,000 Portuguese citizens have died in the pandemic.