Kagame final turns Dar duel

WHOEVER wins it on Friday, Kagame Cup will remain in Dar es Salaam after the only foreign opponents, Gor Mahia and JKU were knocked two semi final matches at the National Stadium yesterday.

Simba who defeated JKU of Zanzibar 1-0 in the second semi-final match at the same venue yesterday, will face Azam to decide whether the trophy will go to Msimbazi Street or to Azam’s home at Chamazi.

Simba are aiming to win the trophy for the record seventh time while it will be the second time for Azam if they win on Friday.

Two extra-time goals condemned Kenyan Premier League champions Gor Mahia to a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Tanzanian side Azam FC in the CECAFA Kagame Cup semi-final played at the National Stadium in Dar es Salaam, yesterday.

The match had ended to a goalless draw in regulation time, forcing the match to head to extra-time and this is where Gor Mahia found themselves on the receiving end, with Ditram Nchimbi sending Azam ahead on the 92nd minute before Bruce Kangwa added the second on the 100th minute.

The result blew away Gor Mahia’s hopes of avenging the 2-0 loss against Azam in the same competition at the 2015 edition final and end K’Ogalo’s wish of winning the regional Club Cup for the first time in 33 years.

The last time Gor Mahia won the Cup was in 1985 when they beat bitter rivals AFC Leopards 2-0 when the competition was hosted in Sudan.

Tusker FC are the last Kenyan club to lift the title in 2008 when they beat Uganda Revenue Authority 2-1 in Tanzania.

Nchimbi broke the deadlock with a well taken half volley shot after a rebound from Gor Mahia defender Charles Momanyi found his favourite right foot to hit the ball past keeper Boniface Oluoch.

Kangwa sealed the win in the first half of the extra-time after weaving past Momanyi to fire home and double the lead.

This was the second defeat by the Tanzanian outfit to K’Ogalo, having also denied them the title in 2015 final, in the same competition.

Both teams played cautiously in regular time, with no team managing to get a goal and the match went to extra time. The two goals comeback for the Kenyan champions under their British mentor of Dylan Kerr was impossible as the team fighting spirit was down as the time ticks off to the final whistle .

Kenyan champions missed the services of their midfielder maestro Ernest Wendo who is nursing a groin injury who faces up to six weeks on the sidelines after limping off in the quarter-final game against Vipers last Sunday.

In the second semi final Simba overpowered JKU with a lone goal from Ugandan-born Rwandan striker, Meddie Kagere who gave his side the match lead a few minutes before the breather.

Kagere scored the goal finishing Nicolaus Gyan’s solo efforts who fired the ball in the box to meet the scorer.

In the resumption Simba comeback more rejuvenated and Kagere could had double his side lead, but failed to connect home Marcel Kaheza’s cross inside the box after his shot went off target in the 57th minute .

JKU introduced Amour Mohamed for Vuai Ali in the 58th minute and two minutes later, they were denied an equalizer when Said Salum’s shot was pushed away and cleared by Simba defenders.

KMKM claimed the Isles League title following their 2-0 victory ...


Recent Posts


more headlines in our related posts

latest # news