Census almost done

THE 2022 Population and Housing Census (PHC), which kicked off countrywide on August 23 this year, is almost complete, the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) Director General, Dr Albina Chuwa said.

She said in Dodoma that the census had reached 99.93 per cent countrywide as of on Wednesday morning and the remaining 0.07 per cent would be covered by Monday next week.

The development follows government’s decision to extend the exercise for seven more days to enable all people to be counted. The 2022 PHC began on August 23 and it was scheduled to end on August 29 but the government extended the time to cover the remaining percent.

Dr Chuwa called upon citizens who were yet to be counted to alert the village, division and wards leaders so that they can be reached.

The census implemented at a cost of 400bn/- has received good respond from the public.  Dr Chuwa said the remaining percent will be covered through phones because temporary contract with the census clerks ends today.

“Anyone who would not have been reached should report to their street, village, division or wards leaders, between tomorrow (Friday) and Monday  so that they can make some arrangement on how they can be counted,” insisted Dr Chuwa.

She said, as of yesterday morning 6,351,927 buildings and premises were counted out of 12.7 million targeted buildings as per postcode address estimates.

Dr Chuwa said since independence this year’s population and housing census is the first one to be carried out digitally which has helped to minimise cost for the exercise.

She said basing on mathematics, the demographic survey is almost done but they have decided to cover the remaining few people as planned.

The DG said after Monday they will compile the data before handing over the report to the Head of State, President Samia Suluhu Hassan to announce the actual country’s population.

She added that the PHC has so far registered huge success, as the citizens have responded positively to the exercise.

“We are pleased with the response from ‘wananchi’ and it all came as a result of a massive education campaign initiated by the government, to enlighten people on the significance of PHC in relation to their daily lives.

“Before the beginning of the head count, we did research on the understanding and response of the citizens regarding the census and the final assessment showed that 99 per cent of the citizens have an understanding of the census and are ready to participate,” he added.

 

 

 

 

Related Articles

Back to top button